Thursday, October 13, 2011

Self-Defense (Self-Rescue) may be more Mental than Physical


Being from the West and Having spent a lot of time around Dad and Grandpa, I was privileged to Learn a lot of thing lost to my generation. Riding horses & ATV's, Rounding up cattle, Shooting all kind of guns, we branded, fixed fence, Tracked and hunted for food, I was very lucky to live in the Mountains most of my childhood. Comparing our mental condition to that of my counterparts who grew up in town, I have noticed a shocking amount of self-reliance missing from the majority of people. When town is 30 min or more away you must have a way different way of thinking to survive.
If we had a medical issue we had to stabilize it (stop the bleeding so we could even get to town alive), and then get driving to the hospital. If you broke your arm out riding somewhere in the mountains, you knew that if you lay where you fell you would not live to see tomorrow, you did what it took to either catch your ride or walk your butt to help. If a fire started we put it out because by the time the fire department got there from town many acres would be burned. When I rode Bulls I was told no matter what, even if your leg is broken with the bone coming out, get your butt on the safe side of the fence before you pass out or the Bull may come back and kill you.
When we called the cops it was to come get the person we were detaining or had shot, not to come and make the bad man leave us alone. The fact is in almost every aspect of your life the responsibility must be yours. Make this your motto "If it is to be it is up to me". Because most violent confrontations happen in seconds no one can realistically help you in time, you must be able to save your own life. I believe in self-rescue. Just as important as learning to change your own flat tire or perform CPR, Ever-More so is Combat survival. Get the training needed to handle an attack with and without weapons, as well as multiple individuals. The ability to Self-Protect is like having a spare tire I hope I never need it but it sure is handy if/When I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment